Thinking back about Year 2 Sem 1 in NUS
Realized that the private Instagram account is not very convenient to type out a whole chunk of words, I'm moving to here for some long post about random things in daily life. Of course English will be really bad, and I wont be following a format or whatever, sometimes its gonna be a messy chunk of words. This serve as more of a diary for myself to read and recall in the future, a place to store whatever random thoughts that comes to my mind.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So this long and hectic sem has finally come to an end, really worn out and the end of the sem and its a really happening sem as well. Most of the things turned out to be fine in the end. Glad that I made it through.
Bad grades in year 1 and getting into ISE has been a wake up call/motivation for myself to work harder in terms of academic, so this sem I have been studying really hard and tries to get my shit together, procrastinate less and be on par with the lesson progression as much as possible. At the same time, there are commitments from RC4 stuff like house comm, IHG and internal pubs. There are also random promises made to different people that I only realize in the end that I either cannot commit or did not deliver the quality of work that's satisfactory to myself. Moral of the story is think through things before I say yes or sign up, things are not as easy as they look or sound sometimes, it will end up with me breaking promises, disappointing others or myself. Juggling school work with all the activities and some degree of social life is not easy, end up I have to give up meeting and spending time with alot of my friends in order to get things done or ensure sufficient rest for myself, so from the work sleep social life 3 choose 2 pov, I clearly has prioritized sleep and rest this sem. Got closer to some people due to various occasions and I'm quite glad about that, on some level their supports gave me the extra push I need at times. Been receiving helps and getting carried by different people this sem, really thankful for them. Sleeping at fked up hour is also a norm this sem. Below is a summary of the good and bad happened this sem.
Good Things.
1. Relatively constantly studying hard, I will talk about the different academic stuff later
2. Overcooked IHG champion, at first signed up for captain just for the sake that Sara asked me but end up putting in alot of effort in it and thanks to Zaw and Brian we got champion. The one and only champion Draco got this year.
3. FOC was really good experience and surprisingly fun as the fake freshie, our OG made it for best foc og and because of this I became good friend with Sara, even tho the og is kinda disbanded now but thats not really my problem
4. Got close with ostin cos of ISE and ie3105 and got carried by the seniors, made some pretty nice friends with wenhao n weisheng
5. Got close to mingliang also, turns out a really nice person and share similar interest as well
6. Haunted house was gr8 fun and huge success with the limited time and budget we have, another effort=reward
7. Some study effort has also paid off, scored full mark for IE2110 midterm which I am rly proud of, also gave me some confidence with my ability to study
8. Got into ISE despite my shit grade from Y1, luck was really on my side
9. Emotionally stable despite stressful sem
10. Able to keep my room neat and clean by cleaning every week
11. Giving less fucks on how ppl think about me this sem, or rather, i just give less fucks about ppl in general, too many idiots around that not worth my energy.
12. Talking again w YY on the end of reading week, seems like a small issue but surprisingly I felt really happy at end of the day... also kinda sad...
Not so good things.
1. Jock itch, started at the beginning of october and lasted an entire month, this has to be the most fked up thing this sem, for weeks I was in constant pain/itch which got so bad that I could not sleep properly or have the mood to do any work for 2 weeks at least, which lead to work pile up and snowball and hit me hard on the face during the final weeks of test and projects
2. ML phone, a small mistake on my side can end up with such a big problem. was really problematic for the 1st few weeks and went through alot of trouble and stress, a good example of overconfidence, procrastination and make promises i cannot fufill
3. Jap 2 midterm wasn't good despite putting in effort, 5 marks below average could mean a grade different in the final result, also was constantly trying to catch up in lesson and always suprise how the people around me learn so fast, my confidence with my jap dropped and I'm not sure about jap minor now. But its really my dream to study up to N2 level before I graduate...
4. Stats finals was bad... really bad, partly my fault for not studying hard enough for it, we will see how it goes when the results are out
5. Last few weeks of school has been really stress, due to the piling of school works and all the test, project and essay deadlines was not getting enough rest and really shagged myself out, on the day I finished SS project I was so glad that I told myself finally I have only exams to worry about...
6. Not putting in enough effort for some projects, but lucky I have good grp mates and friends that can carry my sorry ass...
7. Jap is only gonna get harder...
8. Wore out both physically and mentally at the end of the sem, prolly took some hit on my health
9. And of course, some fked up or annoying ppl in my life
10. Idiots around me who keep telling me to get a gf and try to look at the way I live my life from their value perspectives, pls, just shut the fuck up. I love my single life as much as u love ur pathetic relationship.
11. Overloading with language mod is rly not ez... like srsly...
This is prolly not the full list and I just wrote down what I could remember, maybe I will update it if i remember, but these are the main things that happened this sem, now moving on, since this sem is mainly about studies, here are some of my reflections about the mods I took.
1. IE2110
The mod that defined this sem, known for the hardest ISE 2K mod and my 1st mod as a full ISE student. A really important mod to me as i need to prove myself I can score amongst the ISE cohort. A really useful mod in my opinion as we learnt about optimization and the various methods and models to optimize different problems. Workload is not alot as i got carried by Rayen for the homework part, and carried by my 7 other group mates for the project. The content was really heavy and hard to understand for some topics, and I really prioritize this mod and put in the most effort. Did really well and scored full mark for midterm, and I think I did well for finals as well. Really hope I can obtain an A or A+ for this mod to prove my capability, esp to the ISE vice dean that put me into this course.
2.LAJ2210
OH MY GOD. The mod that gave me the most stress mentally physically and took up so much of my time. The jump in content from jap 1 was really big, and every week was constantly bombed with new grammar/vocabs, for a guy whos memory is not that good I really suffered, scoring below average for midterm and barely average for finals(to my suprise). Took a big hit on my passion to jap and confidence to complete jap 6. But guess in the end, the stress this mod give me is the only way to push myself to be disciplined and study hard for it, looking back, from not knowing hiragana one year ago to able to communicate with some basic jap, able to read jap stories and sing jap songs, this has always been my dream for many years and im really glad that I have came this far, hope my passion and love for japan will push me forward to finish Jap 6 with no regret. It will be nice If i can get B+ in the end
3. ST2334
This mod was fine for the 1st few weeks, chiran and i were constantly on par with lesson and finish tutorials on time, midterm went really well and scored 18/20, however as the sem go downhill after midterm, I stopped studying for it until finals when I realize I have no time to do alot of practices and I went for the 70% finals not fluent and confident with my knowlege, end up the paper was a killer and my final day of exam ended off on a really bad note... But still need to thank chiran for sharing his answer for tut and cheatsheet with me. Really hope i can get at least a B for this 1...
4. IE3105
Ostin pulled me into this 1, and I'm really glad he did it, the workload is really light for a 3k mod and I got some really good seniors to carry me, however we started late on the project and end up have to rush through everything, spent alot of time for the final few weeks making 3d model of the toothbrush and refining it. It was the most demanding project this sem, did pretty decently for the project even though I highly question his grading criteria, this mod is alot of fluff and I felt like i didnt learn much other than 3d modeling. Hopefully I can secure at least a A- for this mod
5. SS
I'm pretty good with vensim so this mod is no problem, plus prof navin is really the nicest prof so there was almost no workload for this, until....the project, procrastinated quite abit and have to rush through it on the final week as well stayed from 4pm to next day 4am to finish the report... the project shagged me out but it turned out to be good and he was quite impressed really glad I got some decent grp mates like Samantha and Royden, luck was on my side again, plus I'm quite happy that prof nav has some high expectations out of me, I think I did really well for this mod and I hope that I can secure an A or A+ for this mod. On the side note, had some serious discussion with prof navin and he seems impressed, got invited to join some RC4 research team as a research assistant which made me really happy, not only I get to learn new things under experienced people but also this means my senior retention is more or less secured :)
6. SSU
Not an art student, went to this mod for ez B+, this mod had 0 workload until the 2 final essays which came at wrong timing, have to wrote some bullshit which was surprisingly tough and submit and hope that I can secure at least a B+, not as easy as I think, plus the prof is really bad at teaching, I can never understand nor appreciate this kind of mod.
Typed for a really long time, guess I rly have alot to think and say about this sem, but be it good or bad in the end, the sem is over and I have worked hard on some level, this was definitely not the best I can try but I will work harder the upcoming sems, the next thing in life, enjoy holiday and look forward to my upcoming Japan trip, a place that I wanted to go for many years, 種子島 :')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So this long and hectic sem has finally come to an end, really worn out and the end of the sem and its a really happening sem as well. Most of the things turned out to be fine in the end. Glad that I made it through.
Bad grades in year 1 and getting into ISE has been a wake up call/motivation for myself to work harder in terms of academic, so this sem I have been studying really hard and tries to get my shit together, procrastinate less and be on par with the lesson progression as much as possible. At the same time, there are commitments from RC4 stuff like house comm, IHG and internal pubs. There are also random promises made to different people that I only realize in the end that I either cannot commit or did not deliver the quality of work that's satisfactory to myself. Moral of the story is think through things before I say yes or sign up, things are not as easy as they look or sound sometimes, it will end up with me breaking promises, disappointing others or myself. Juggling school work with all the activities and some degree of social life is not easy, end up I have to give up meeting and spending time with alot of my friends in order to get things done or ensure sufficient rest for myself, so from the work sleep social life 3 choose 2 pov, I clearly has prioritized sleep and rest this sem. Got closer to some people due to various occasions and I'm quite glad about that, on some level their supports gave me the extra push I need at times. Been receiving helps and getting carried by different people this sem, really thankful for them. Sleeping at fked up hour is also a norm this sem. Below is a summary of the good and bad happened this sem.
Good Things.
1. Relatively constantly studying hard, I will talk about the different academic stuff later
2. Overcooked IHG champion, at first signed up for captain just for the sake that Sara asked me but end up putting in alot of effort in it and thanks to Zaw and Brian we got champion. The one and only champion Draco got this year.
3. FOC was really good experience and surprisingly fun as the fake freshie, our OG made it for best foc og and because of this I became good friend with Sara, even tho the og is kinda disbanded now but thats not really my problem
4. Got close with ostin cos of ISE and ie3105 and got carried by the seniors, made some pretty nice friends with wenhao n weisheng
5. Got close to mingliang also, turns out a really nice person and share similar interest as well
6. Haunted house was gr8 fun and huge success with the limited time and budget we have, another effort=reward
7. Some study effort has also paid off, scored full mark for IE2110 midterm which I am rly proud of, also gave me some confidence with my ability to study
8. Got into ISE despite my shit grade from Y1, luck was really on my side
9. Emotionally stable despite stressful sem
10. Able to keep my room neat and clean by cleaning every week
11. Giving less fucks on how ppl think about me this sem, or rather, i just give less fucks about ppl in general, too many idiots around that not worth my energy.
12. Talking again w YY on the end of reading week, seems like a small issue but surprisingly I felt really happy at end of the day... also kinda sad...
Not so good things.
1. Jock itch, started at the beginning of october and lasted an entire month, this has to be the most fked up thing this sem, for weeks I was in constant pain/itch which got so bad that I could not sleep properly or have the mood to do any work for 2 weeks at least, which lead to work pile up and snowball and hit me hard on the face during the final weeks of test and projects
2. ML phone, a small mistake on my side can end up with such a big problem. was really problematic for the 1st few weeks and went through alot of trouble and stress, a good example of overconfidence, procrastination and make promises i cannot fufill
3. Jap 2 midterm wasn't good despite putting in effort, 5 marks below average could mean a grade different in the final result, also was constantly trying to catch up in lesson and always suprise how the people around me learn so fast, my confidence with my jap dropped and I'm not sure about jap minor now. But its really my dream to study up to N2 level before I graduate...
4. Stats finals was bad... really bad, partly my fault for not studying hard enough for it, we will see how it goes when the results are out
5. Last few weeks of school has been really stress, due to the piling of school works and all the test, project and essay deadlines was not getting enough rest and really shagged myself out, on the day I finished SS project I was so glad that I told myself finally I have only exams to worry about...
6. Not putting in enough effort for some projects, but lucky I have good grp mates and friends that can carry my sorry ass...
7. Jap is only gonna get harder...
8. Wore out both physically and mentally at the end of the sem, prolly took some hit on my health
9. And of course, some fked up or annoying ppl in my life
10. Idiots around me who keep telling me to get a gf and try to look at the way I live my life from their value perspectives, pls, just shut the fuck up. I love my single life as much as u love ur pathetic relationship.
11. Overloading with language mod is rly not ez... like srsly...
This is prolly not the full list and I just wrote down what I could remember, maybe I will update it if i remember, but these are the main things that happened this sem, now moving on, since this sem is mainly about studies, here are some of my reflections about the mods I took.
1. IE2110
The mod that defined this sem, known for the hardest ISE 2K mod and my 1st mod as a full ISE student. A really important mod to me as i need to prove myself I can score amongst the ISE cohort. A really useful mod in my opinion as we learnt about optimization and the various methods and models to optimize different problems. Workload is not alot as i got carried by Rayen for the homework part, and carried by my 7 other group mates for the project. The content was really heavy and hard to understand for some topics, and I really prioritize this mod and put in the most effort. Did really well and scored full mark for midterm, and I think I did well for finals as well. Really hope I can obtain an A or A+ for this mod to prove my capability, esp to the ISE vice dean that put me into this course.
2.LAJ2210
OH MY GOD. The mod that gave me the most stress mentally physically and took up so much of my time. The jump in content from jap 1 was really big, and every week was constantly bombed with new grammar/vocabs, for a guy whos memory is not that good I really suffered, scoring below average for midterm and barely average for finals(to my suprise). Took a big hit on my passion to jap and confidence to complete jap 6. But guess in the end, the stress this mod give me is the only way to push myself to be disciplined and study hard for it, looking back, from not knowing hiragana one year ago to able to communicate with some basic jap, able to read jap stories and sing jap songs, this has always been my dream for many years and im really glad that I have came this far, hope my passion and love for japan will push me forward to finish Jap 6 with no regret. It will be nice If i can get B+ in the end
3. ST2334
This mod was fine for the 1st few weeks, chiran and i were constantly on par with lesson and finish tutorials on time, midterm went really well and scored 18/20, however as the sem go downhill after midterm, I stopped studying for it until finals when I realize I have no time to do alot of practices and I went for the 70% finals not fluent and confident with my knowlege, end up the paper was a killer and my final day of exam ended off on a really bad note... But still need to thank chiran for sharing his answer for tut and cheatsheet with me. Really hope i can get at least a B for this 1...
4. IE3105
Ostin pulled me into this 1, and I'm really glad he did it, the workload is really light for a 3k mod and I got some really good seniors to carry me, however we started late on the project and end up have to rush through everything, spent alot of time for the final few weeks making 3d model of the toothbrush and refining it. It was the most demanding project this sem, did pretty decently for the project even though I highly question his grading criteria, this mod is alot of fluff and I felt like i didnt learn much other than 3d modeling. Hopefully I can secure at least a A- for this mod
5. SS
I'm pretty good with vensim so this mod is no problem, plus prof navin is really the nicest prof so there was almost no workload for this, until....the project, procrastinated quite abit and have to rush through it on the final week as well stayed from 4pm to next day 4am to finish the report... the project shagged me out but it turned out to be good and he was quite impressed really glad I got some decent grp mates like Samantha and Royden, luck was on my side again, plus I'm quite happy that prof nav has some high expectations out of me, I think I did really well for this mod and I hope that I can secure an A or A+ for this mod. On the side note, had some serious discussion with prof navin and he seems impressed, got invited to join some RC4 research team as a research assistant which made me really happy, not only I get to learn new things under experienced people but also this means my senior retention is more or less secured :)
6. SSU
Not an art student, went to this mod for ez B+, this mod had 0 workload until the 2 final essays which came at wrong timing, have to wrote some bullshit which was surprisingly tough and submit and hope that I can secure at least a B+, not as easy as I think, plus the prof is really bad at teaching, I can never understand nor appreciate this kind of mod.
Typed for a really long time, guess I rly have alot to think and say about this sem, but be it good or bad in the end, the sem is over and I have worked hard on some level, this was definitely not the best I can try but I will work harder the upcoming sems, the next thing in life, enjoy holiday and look forward to my upcoming Japan trip, a place that I wanted to go for many years, 種子島 :')
Comments
Post a Comment